In celebration of the anniversary of The Eminem Show, we dropped limited edition and autographed merch as a 72-hour flash sale. We leveraged its exclusivity via email in an effort to acquire new subscribers and create a buzz around the products.
Campaign Goal: To drive store revenue with the added bonus of growing Eminem’s email list.
Keys to Success:
- Early Access Incentive – We promoted early access for fans who signed up to a specific mailing list that granted them a first-run at the limited edition products prior to the 72-hour window.
- Straightforward Messaging – All of the copy used in social posts was short and sweet, and not always very descriptive. This air of mystery left fans wanting to find out more.
- Strategic Product Offerings – Outside of Eminem’s popularity, the revenue for this campaign was largely driven by strategic bundling of products, which had fans purchasing “in bulk” rather than just singular items.
- Gross sales from this release make up 75% of Eminem’s total merch sales for Q1 and Q2 2017 (also the equivalent of ⅓ of all 2016 merch sales).
- The Early Access email accounted for more than 50% of sales, followed by socials, which accounted for 34% of total sales (Instagram accounted for 34% of all store traffic).
- The Early Access email also saw an Open Rate 4x higher than the next-day general public on-sale email, and a 15x higher Click-Thru Rate. The Autographed bundle option sold out overnight with the help of this particular send.
- This was the most successful email acquisition campaign for Eminem to date, especially given the short window of time.